[BManUpdate] V13:#24:07.09.09

Will Chase jackrabbitspeaks at burningman.com
Thu Jul 9 21:55:45 PDT 2009

Burning Man Update: The Jack Rabbit Speaks
Volume 13, Issue #24
July 9, 2009

{============================================================}
====================TABLE OF CONTENTS=======================
{============================================================}

INTRODUCTION

LATEST NEWS:
+ THE 2009 BURNING MAN RESOURCE LISTING - LET'S DO IT!
+ WHY, THE "WHAT WHERE WHEN" IS COMING YOUR WAY
+ THE OFFICIAL POSTER FOR BURNING MAN 2009 IS NOW AVAILABLE
+ BIODIESEL BUS SHUTTLES TO AND FROM THE PLAYA
+ BURNERS WITHOUT BORDERS COMMUNITY STIMULUS PACKAGE
+ BIO*TANICAL GARDEN ART INSTALLATION SEEKING GAZEBO OR DOME
+ GET YOUR STUFF ON THE CONTAINER FROM NEW YORK CITY
+ DREAMYOURTOPIA AT THE LOWLANDS FESTIVAL IN THE NETHERLANDS

PARTICIPATE:
+ WANT TO INVITE AN ARTIST TO DINNER?
+ SMELLS LIKE B(E)ACON
+ EARTH GUARDIANS ECO FABULOUS RE-FASHION RUNWAY SHOW
+ GODSPELL (THE MUSICAL) SEEKING CAST, CREW, & MUSICIANS
+ PROMETHEUS CUBE SEEKING STORYTELLERS AND WRITERS
+ ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW ON THE PLAYA

EVENTS & HAPPENINGS:
+ BURNERS WITHOUT BORDERS MULTI-CITY FUNDRAISER - JULY 18
+ "TAKE FLIGHT": A GATHERING OF MAINE BURNERS - STANDISH, ME, JULY 18-19
+ NO SPECTATORS DAY - JULY 31

PHOTOS & IMAGES:
+ PHOTO GALLERY FROM WALFREDO CIRNE

CONNECT WITH BURNING MAN:
+ Burning Man on your favorite social networks

ADMINISTERRATA:

{============================================================}
====================INTRODUCTION========================
{============================================================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

Hi everybody, hope your mid-summer reverie is made that much reverious
by thoughts of the impending festivities in Black Rock City. Right?
Right.

On to the business at hand.  First off, we'd like to extend our
apologies ... as we were moving BMHQ, some of our processes got
knocked sideways, causing delays on some projects, including the What
Where When and the Burning Man Resource Listing.  See, like, we had
all these grand plans and stuff?  But yeah, we've landed, put our
noses to the grindstones, and, well ... it's time to get 'er done.
So, read below for details on how to kick down your submissions for
each.

Recent Black Rock Desert visitors report that the playa surface is in
pretty good shape!  This, combined with a return to the 2007 city
size, combined with the oodles of art installations and theme camp
applications we're seeing roll in, bodes well for much impending
goodness in Black Rock City.  The Man, by the way, is built, and is
resting in its container, waiting for us.  Read Slim's account of the
build:

http://blog.burningman.com/?tag=man-build

So, we love this time of year because we start to get post requests
from the wide variety of folks who are looking for people to join in
their efforts to stage adventurous and bizarre feats, from the sublime
to the ridiculous.  Send yours in, and we'll highlight what we can.
Email jackrabbitspeaks at burningman.com with "POST REQUEST" in your
subject line.

OK, that's it for now.  Stay tuned for some logistically important
JRSs coming your way in the next weeks - this is the time of year to
really perk up your ears and start keeping notes, because holy wow,
you're leaving in less than two months! The Jack Rabbit knows, there's
a lot to do to get ready.

-Will
(Associate Rabbit)

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{============================================================}
====================LATEST NEWS========================
{============================================================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

THE 2009 BURNING MAN RESOURCE LISTING - LET'S DO IT!

The "Resource Issue" -- the annual JRS issue with links to interesting
items and deals aimed at Burners is changing up a little in this year
of evolution...and yes, we're a bit late to start taking in
submissions thanks to the complexities of our office move.

We do avoid advertising and commodification around these parts, but
the Resource issue has been around a long time. Why? Well, we also get
so many questions from Burners looking for suggestions from others
about where to get stuff they need, and discounts on playa necessities
that you can't take advantage of if you don't know about them...so in
the interest of supporting you with info you want, we've annually
offered the Resource Issue. This year, we've just automated things a
little, and voila: easy peasy, SMOP, kerpow - a webform.

So, then: to have your product, service, or playa preparation event
considered for inclusion in the 2009 Burning Man Resource Listing,
fill out the form here:

http://bit.ly/17BVi7

Appropriate submissions will be added to a Burningman.com page that
we'll share  in the JRS, on our Facebook page, and on Twitter.

Because we know small vendors have tight lead times for taking and
fulfilling product orders before the event, the window for submissions
is quite short: PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR LISTING BY TUESDAY, JULY 14.

Our goal is to have the page live by July 17.

Also: if you just can't stand to get this kind of "buying stuff"
chocolate in your Burning Man peanut butter, well, that's why the
Resource Listing will be a link you can click, at your leisure, or
not, which is cool too. We get you, either way.

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

WHY, THE "WHAT WHERE WHEN" IS COMING YOUR WAY

The What Where When (affectionately known around BMHQ as the
Whawhawha) is our annual publication of all the events, happenings
and ... well, whatevers ... that are going down in Black Rock City.
So, you got one of those?  Make sure folks know about it, so they can
come participate!

We're banging on the Playa Calendar to get it ready to receive
Whawhawha submissions - but because of behind the scenes delays, this
window will also be SHORT this year. We're telling you now: get your
events listing ready. Meaning, get your camp to agree on exactly what
time your Three Legged Blindfolded Roller Skate Race and Ice Cream
Social is going to be, and watch this space... we'll have the
submission form up for you next week.

We've got two versions of this thing.  A digital version that anybody
can get to, with an unlimited capacity for the number of listings.
Then there's the printed version that's handed out at the Greeters
Station at BRC, and in that one, we only publish a limited amount of
listings, on a first-come, first-served basis.  So point is, if you
really really really want to be in the printed version, get your
submission in quick.

Either way, remember: your event description must be 140 characters or
less.

Cool?  Cool.

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

THE OFFICIAL POSTER FOR BURNING MAN 2009 IS NOW AVAILABLE

OK, when this Rabbit first saw our poster for 2009, there was an
audible thunk as jaw hit floor.  Seriously (and no disrepect to Hugh,
DA and other illustrators of past beautiful posters), this is one of
the most amazing posters we've ever seen. The composition, the detail
work, the visual messaging -- it's a simply top notch piece of
artwork.  You really need to see this thing ... it was created by the
same folks who did this year's ticket design.

Check it out, and get your copy:

http://bit.ly/p5CaA

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

BIODIESEL BUS SHUTTLES TO AND FROM THE PLAYA

Two biodiesel-bus outfits will be returning to the playa this year,
BioTour and BioBus (space) Shuttle, picking up passengers from the
Reno-Tahoe International Airport and making a pit-stop to stock up on
supplies at a local store before heading out to the playa.  BioTour
will additionally be offering a SF-to-BRC shuttle on Aug. 30.  And
BioBus will be taking reservations for anyone who wants to get back to
Reno from BRC after the event.

BioBus (space) Shuttle -- http://www.burncleanproject.org

Need a ride from Reno Int'l Airport to Burning Man and back?  That's
right ... we're back for Year 3! Meet new lifelong friends on the
BIOBUS (space) SHUTTLE to Black Rock City. You will be scooped up at
Reno International and whisked to Whole Foods for a quick grocery run
and then on to the playa! This is our third year in a pilot program to
lessen our cumulative impact of travel to the greatest city on Mama
Earth. A $65-$75 donation to Burn Clean Project will reserve a One Way
ride to or from the playa, helping you to avoid burning petroleum, the
cost of a car rental, and the worst part of all—scrubbing the rental
car thoroughly enough so they don't charge you a playa-sized cleaning
fee! If you still haven't bought your Burning Man ticket and plan to
ride the BIOBUS, then please get your tickets shipped to you and carry
them by hand, to help the BIOBUS avoid long waits at Will Call.

Book today at http://www.burncleanproject.org ! We have biodiesel-
fueled rides on Mon 31st, Tues 1st, and Wed 2nd from Reno-to-BRC, and
the following Sun 6th and Mon 7th from BRC-to-Reno. A one-way ticket
is on a sliding scale of $65-75. Eco transport, no rental cars, no
petroleum, stellar people, Whole Foods, good times. Get a seat while
the gettin's good and please forward this to your entire burner
community!

BioTour - http://www.biotour.org

Kick off Burning Man with an eco-friendly rideshare on a vegetable oil-
powered bus. Listen to the solar generated beats as we party our way
onto the playa ...

San Francisco Bay Area to Burning Man (Round-Trip):  Donation - $250
(plus paypal fee)

Departure: Leave SF Sunday August 30 @ 9am.  Pick-Up Location:
"Mighty" - 119 Utah Street, San Francisco
Food/Supplies: Stop at Trader Joes and Drug Store
Overnight: Camp at Pyramid Lake
Arrival: Arrive in BRC Monday morning.

Return to SF
Departure: Leave BRC @ Monday September 7 @ 2am
Arrival: Arrive in San Francisco approximately between noon-4pm Monday*

*Arrival time in San Francisco is dependent upon traffic leaving
Burning Man.

Reno Airport to Burning Man Shuttles:  Donation - $75 ((plus paypal fee)

Pickup Times at Reno Airport:

Monday Aug 31:  4:30pm
Tuesday Sept 1:   4:30pm
Wednesday Sept 2:   4:30pm
Thursday Sept 3:   4:30pm

Departure: Reno Airport: Pick-up @ 4:30pm & Departure @ 5:00pm
Food/Supplies: Stop at Trader Joe's and Drug Store: 30 minutes
Arrival: Arrival at BRC approx. 9-10pm**

**Note that it can take several hours to pass through will call lines,
ticketing, inspection, and drop passengers off at 3 central locations
at cross streets: 3 o'clock & B ; 6 o'clock & B ; 9 o'clock & B.

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

THANK YOU!!  LOVELOCK ELEMENTARY SOLAR ARRAYS NOW UP AND RUNNING!

Black Rock Solar reports that thanks to all your donations and
support, they've successfully installed 22Kw worth of solar arrays on
top of Lovelock Elementary School.  So, thank you!  Read more and see
pictures on their website:

http://www.blackrocksolar.org/?p=399

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

BURNERS WITHOUT BORDERS COMMUNITY STIMULUS PACKAGE

Carmen of BWB writes to say:

"BWB recently launched its $6500 Community Stimulus Package that is
proudly funding over 15 amazing projects worldwide, including
community gardens in Botswana and a circus camp for kids in
Massachusets. Wonderful partnerships are forming as we find even more
innovative ways to bring the fierce creativity of the playa to local
communities everywhere. You can read all about the projects as they
are happening on BWB's Blog at:

http://blog.burnerswithoutborders.org

Thanks to all of those in San Diego who produced the $10,000
fundraiser this year that made BWB's Stimulus Package possible. Your
generous efforts are making an immeasurable difference around the world.

To keep up with the latest updates from the BWB community, we invite
you to join us on Twitter at:

http://twitter.com/B_W_B "

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

BIO*TANICAL GARDEN ART INSTALLATION SEEKING GAZEBO OR DOME

Perhaps you're not able to make a monetary donation to support artwork
on the playa, but maaaaybe you can help with a thing you already have,
that an honorarium project needs?  Check it:

"The Bio*Tanical Garden Art Installation is looking for a kind hearted
Burner to lend/sell us a sturdy metal gazebo or geodesic dome
structure. The dome/gazebo will be used solely to house the art
installation so nothing would be done to the structure or modified in
any way. lt should be approximately 10' x 10' (but a smaller or larger
structure could work too) and tall enough to stand inside.

Unfortunately the gazebo we were hoping to use has fallen through
quite late in the game. We are reaching out & hoping the community can
respond! Anyone who has or knows someone who has a dome/gazebo for
loan/sale, please contact Rossella or Justin directly at roxmund at gmail.com
  or justindavella at gmail.com ... Thanks!!!"

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

GET YOUR STUFF ON THE CONTAINER FROM NEW YORK CITY

Cinemagirl writes:

"The New York City container ships your stuff from the NYC area to the
burn and back!

We sell by the cubic foot and we go on sale July 7th at NOON EDT. The
first 2000 cu/ft sell at $5 and the remaining cu/ft are $6. Because
the containers get hot and go on the rails, we don't allow generators
and nothing that's touched gas. Nothing illegal or might go BOOM in
high heat!

Please check out our website for information:

http://www.nyccontainer.com

... and be radically self-reliant and read all the info!

Much love,
Cinemagirl"

DREAMYOURTOPIA AT THE LOWLANDS FESTIVAL IN THE NETHERLANDS

Former funded Burning Man art installation "Dreamyourtopia" (from
2008) is enjoying an extended life around the world.  It's in the